Eugene O Shea Memorial Schools’ Hurling Tournament
Breaffy Indoor Sports Arena
Tuesday, 7th November 2017
Hosted by the Castlebar Mitchels Hurling Club
Event Coordinator: Adrian Hession (0872450566)
Schools Coordinator: Kevin O’Boyle (0873356558)
Referee: Conall O’Donnaill (0876877489)
Goal Umpires: Transition Year Students
Venue Contact: Michael Yates (0868450173)
Photography: Tony Stakelum (0868586842)
Cup Presentations: Mrs Teresa O’Shea / Tony Stakelum (0868586842)
Medal Presentation: John Waldron (0868568281) / Eugene Connolly
Scoil Raifteiri c/o Mr Padraig Heaney
Snugboro c/o Mr Eoin Shaughnessy
St Pats c/o Mr Seamus Devaney
Derrywash c/o Mr Eamon Tiernan
CLAR AN LAE
Tuesday 7th November 2017
|Players and volunteer arrival at Arena||10.30am|
|Semi1: Scoil Raifteiri v Derrywash*||11.00am|
|Semi2: Snugboro v St Pats||11.30am|
|Shield Final: Runner-Up v Runner-Up||12.00noon|
|Cup Final: Winner v Winner||12.30am|
|Presentation of Cup/Shield/Wall-Balls/Medals||1.00pm|
- Teams of 9-a-side boys. Panel of 15 maximum.
- Exception is beginners Derrywash* who will have 9-a-side mixed (boys & girls) team.
- Games 10 minutes per half.
- Full rules of hurling apply (Goals & Points).
- Unlimited substitutions throughout.
- No tackling/contact close to the walls.
- In the event of a tie in finals – the trophy is shared.
- The event controller will coordinate the presentations.
- The Shield runners-up receive their medals/balls from John Waldron.
- The Shield winning captain receive the Shield from Tony Stakelum.
- The Shield winning receive their balls/medal from Eugene Connolly.
- The Cup runners-up receive their balls/medals from John Waldron.
- The Cup winning captain receives Cup from Mrs Teresa O’Shea.
- The Cup winning team receives medals/balls from Eugene Connolly.
- Final address from Tony Stakelum – Chairman Castlebar Hurling Club.
Feile na nGael 2018
The National U14 Hurling Feile na nGael competition will be hosted by Connacht GAA on the weekend 10th June 2018. All hurling clubs in Connacht are invited to be part of this event. It is planned that Castlebar Mitchels Hurling Club will be a host club for Feile na nGael, and will have a visiting team staying within the club for the weekend festival of hurling.
In preparation for this, the Castlebar Mitchels Hurling Club are looking to recruit new players for 2018 who wish to be part of this momentous National hurling event. It is expected that over 120 hurling teams and over 60 camogie teams will take part in Feile na nGael all over Connacht, in what is the largest underage GAA event on the calendar.
Hurlers born in 2004, 2005 and 2006 are our target audience, and we welcome all four hurling schools within our catchment area to today’s event. We thank all teachers for your promotion of hurling within your school thus far and look forward to working with you in the future. We hope you enjoy todays hurling event.
For further information on joining for Feile na nGael contact Castlebar Mitchel’s Hurling Club Chairman Tony Stakelum on 086-8586842.
Eugene O’Shea Memorial Cup
No history of Castlebar Mitchel’s Hurling Club can be written without paying a small, deserved tribute to Eugene O’Shea RIP. Eugene was instrumental in reactivating hurling in Castlebar in 1981. Eugene O’Shea was chairman of the Hurling Club from 1981 to 1987 when his untimely death took place. Eugene’s sons, Niall, Paul & Aidan all played hurling for the club and county. During Eugene’s term as chairman of the Mayo GAA Hurling Board, the Mayo senior hurling team were promoted up to Division 2 and played with distinction against Tipperary, Laois, Antrim, Dublin and Meath. It was the highest ever status of hurling in Mayo in the National Hurling League. Eugene was a great leader and motivator. He had a very deep interest in all that was Irish but especially hurling. Eugene brought a sense of direction to Mayo hurling. In a remarkable way, his quiet and gentle manner had touched the hearts and minds of all of us who had come to know him so well. He was a man of great principle and character. In every way he was a perfect gentleman. Ar dheis De ar a anam.
Leave a Reply